- 5 cups corned beef
- 1 med/large onion, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (healthy tablespoon)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups half & half (I used 2% milk)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- Pinch of caraway seeds
- Fresh ground pepper ( I did 12-14 spins)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jar sauerkraut 32 oz, I didn't rinse or drain ( for that reason I didn't add salt, if you rinse you will need to add salt)
- 3 cups Swiss cheese
- 4 slices Rye and pumpernickel swirl (I buttered and sprinkled it with garlic powder and toasted)
Best Reuben Soup
- In a large dutch oven, add olive oil, onion, sauerkraut and celery.
- Saute until onion and celery are translucent.
- In large sauce pan on med/high heat add butter when it starts to melt add flour stir until it starts to get bubbly.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth.
- Continuing to whisk until well blended, then add cheese and half & half.
- Once it blended add it to the dutch oven along with the corned beef, pepper, bay leaf, caraway seeds and garlic powder. Let simmer for 2 hours