- Garden cucumbers, scrubbed in very cold water (7-8 small/med cucumbers)
- 6 cups water ( preferably distilled or purified)
- 1/4 cup canning salt (important canning salt)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons slightly heaping fresh minced garlic
- 1/8 cup minced onion., dried
- 1 teaspoons mustard seed
- 15 spigs fresh dill
- 8-10 whole peppercorns
- (I added one pickled jalapeno slice to each jar)
Refrigerator Dill Pickles (Like Claussen’s) Super Crisp!!
There’s no sugar in these. I’m not a fan of sweet pickles.
*Tip… I used small/med garden fresh cucumbers, they need be sliced into chunks or spears. I’ve tried them whole and they don’t turn out as good.
- In a large pan add water, salt, garlic, vinegar, onion, peppercorns and mustard seed... bring to a boil and let cool to room temp.
- Fill sink or large tub or bowl with ice cold water, the colder the better and splash of vinegar the vinegar will kill and bacteria on the cucumbers. Scrub your cucumbers and slice approximately 1/4-1/2 inch
- Fill jars or air tight containers with sliced cucumbers, ladle liquid over top making sure they get all the great goodness in the brine and completely covered..
- Put the fresh dill in and the optional jalapeno and store in frigerator.
- Ready in 5-7 days (we were eating them at day 2 there soo good)
- There so crisp and so addicting!!