- 6 cups canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt (1/2 in dough & other 1/2 for garnish)
- 1 small onion, pureed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
The Best Hush Puppies ~
These are so nummy! You can’t just eat one, the flavor is over the top. If you want to kick them up you can add jalapeno’s.
Must try recipe! Let me know what you think.
- Using a large pot, preheat oil 350 degrees.
- Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and half of onion salt.
- Stir in pureed onion.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil.
- Fry until golden brown, turning the hushpuppies during the cooking process.
- Remove and place on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp onion salt.