- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 10 corn tortillas, torn into strips ( you can use authentic Mexican corn chips to make it easier) Or just to change it up
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional only if you like it really hot)
- 1 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Crema (or sour cream) and cilantro for garnish
Missing Mexico? This is a great recipes to take you right back there, until your next trip
- In a large skillet, heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Carefully stir in the onion and tortilla strips.
- Fry until tortilla strips are crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels.
- Drain the skillet, leaving just a little oil.
- Over medium heat, return tortillas and onions to the skillet, and stir in the eggs and jalapenos.
- Season with salt. Cook and stir until eggs are firm.
- Mix salsa verde and enchilada sauce into the skillet.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Top with cheese.
- Continue cooking until cheese has melted.
- Garnish with crema (or sour cream) and cilantro