- 1 pound great northern beans soaked and rinsed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 meaty ham bone (if it's not meaty add 1.5-2 cups diced ham)
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups milk
- (8 ounces) Velveeta, diced
Cheesy Ham and Bean Chowder Recipe
- In large dutch oven add water, chicken stock, vegetables, bay leaf, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and ham bone simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Remove ham bone and the rest of the meat on the ham bone and add into the soup along with the beans.
- In med sauce pan add butter and flour cook on med/high heat until bubbly.
- Turn heat down to med ( You don't want to boil) and add milk and whisk until thickened, then add diced cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour into soup and and simmer again you don't want to bring it to boil for 20 mins.